Kirk Cameron recently produced a movie called “Saving Christmas.” Do you recall Kirk from the 80’s sitcom”Facts of Life?”
Kirk Thomas Cameron is an American actor. He is known for his role as Mike Seaver on the television situation comedy Growing Pains, as well as several other television and film appearances as a child actor.Wikipedia
Kirk apparently crossed over into Christianity and starred in the internationally famous “Left Behind” series and is a well-sought after Christian celebrity and speaker
- Kirk went on a publicity tour to publicize the movie which only aired exclusively–limited release and for 2-weeks
- at okays Christmas for Christians, I felt it useful to contrast some of Kirk’s supportive arguments in the light of Biblical authority.
What follows are Kirk’s arguments in support of Christians celebrating Christmas followed by Biblical rebuttals:
1. Let’s put Christ back into Christmas. (Is placing the Messiah in the forefront of a pagan holiday pleasing to the Father or even permissible?)
(Isa 1:11-20 KJV)
(Amo 5:21-23 KJV)
Does it not seem then that Yehovah despises any attempt to honor Him that is not consistent with the ways that He has stipulated man to honor Him? Does any amount of grace excuse wanton disobedience, idolatry and adultery, which is what honoring the Master through a demoniacally inspired pagan holiday is
(Jer 10:2-5 KJV)
B. If Yehovah abhorred pagan practices and the Master comes from Yehovah, it would stand to reason that the Master does not appreciate our honoring Him via a pagan festival
. (Joh 10:30 KJV)
Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Joh 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
2. Kirk Cameron is the “Explainer and Chief” regarding Christmas this year
A.Since when do we follow any one man besides the Savior?
(Psa 118:8-9 KJV)
3. Kirk marginalizes all of the elements of Christmas that support the holiday’s pagan roots and counters naysayers with soundbites from the Bible that loosely connect to the celebration of Christmas such as trees throughout the Holy Writ and the fact that Jesus was crucified upon a tree
A. Ignorance on the part of believers is no longer bliss
(Act 17:29-31 KJV)
(Act 14:11-17 KJV)
B. Problems ahead for the Kirk Camerons of this world
(Mat 18:6-8 KJV)
4. Kirk Cameron redefines history for us in such a way as to remove the existence of paganism and pretend that all of the myths associated with the Christmas story are irrelevant. Thus, facts be damned. It’s all about the display we put on that trumps the facts. In other words, how can I display what a true Christian I am and that is the most important thing.
(Joh 4:23-24 KJV)
5. Christmas is about embracing “gross materialism” because Christmas is about the divine being made a material being.
(Mat 19:16-24 KJV)
6. Kirk debunks those Christians who are waking up to the Truth
A. We find here an example of Pharisaism is you will as was seen in the healing of the blind man by the Master:
(Joh 9:19-34 KJV)
7. Kirk suggests that Christians shoujld stand-up and defend Christmas as being the most “exciting celebration of the year” and “should produce joy in the hearts of everybody and we need to celebrate it loudly.” In other words, let’s shut down the people who know and speak the truth; let’s reject the truth loudly because it’s what we want to do.
A. We are not our own. What gives us the right to violate the Father’s commands against idolatry and following the ways of the pagan?
(Jer 10:2-6 KJV)
(1Co 7:22-24 KJV)
(1Co 6:19-7:1 KJV)
8. Kirk Cameron got most of his inspiration and material from William Federer (“There Really is a Santa Claus-The History of Saint Nicolas and Christmas Holiday Traditions”) and Pastor Douglas Wilson (“God Rest Ye Merry”)
- William J. Federer
William J. Federer is an American historian, writer, and former evangelical pastor. Federer was born October 1, 1957, and raised in south St. Louis, Missouri, the fifth of eleven children. Wikipedia
Saint Nicholas – Sinter Klaas – Santa Claus Read the story of Nicholas, 3rd Century Bishop of Myra, Asia Minor (present day Turkey) and how over time stories of his holy, generous life were embelished into legend. Discover additions of writer Washington Irving, minister Clement Moore, Civil War illustrator Thomas Nast, Coca-Cola artist Haddom Sundblom. Explore fascinating origins of the 12 Days of Christmas, Christmas Tree, Carols, Kris Kringle, Creche‘ scene, Poinsettia, Hanukkah… Relive events on Christmas throughout history, from Columbus to Valley Forge, the Great Depression to the Korean War. Travel back in time by reading Christmas Messages of U.S. Presidents, such as: Harry S Truman, just after WWII, at the lighting of the National Christmas Tree, 1946: “If we as a nation, and the other nations of the world, will accept it, the star of faith will guide us into the place of peace as it did the shepherds on that day of Christ’s birth long ago.”
Indeed, there was a Saint Nicolas who was a Greek in Asia Minor. In 325, he was one of many bishops to answer the request of Constantine and appear at the First Council of Nicaea. There, Nicholas was a staunch anti-Arian and defender of the Orthodox Christian position and one of the bishops who signed the Nicene Creed.
- Douglas Wilson
Douglas James Wilson is a conservative Reformed and evangelical theologian, pastor at Christ Church in Moscow, Idaho, faculty member at New Saint Andrews College, and prolific author and speaker. Wikipedia
The repetition of Christmas traditions can appear to dull the powerful nature of the holiday. God Rest Ye Merry is meant to rekindle the Christian’s understanding of Advent on every front, from politics to shopping to uproarious celebration. Pastor Douglas Wilson critiques false reasons for the season (and false objections to it), teaches the importance of Israel in Christmastime history, explains why nativity sets should have Herod’s soldiers (and how Santa Claus once punched a man in the face at a church council), offers the Enlightenment Assumptions Detector test as a guide to understanding Christmas symbolism, and much more. The last section contains a read-aloud meditation and prayer for each day of Advent, making God Rest Ye Merry an excellent tool for cultivating a deep family love of Christmas.
9. Kirk believes Christians are gullible and easily deceived when told by pagans that Christmas used to be a pagan holiday and thus sway Christians to abstain from celebrating Christmas
A. I think Kirk is the gullible and deceived one. More so, any who would follow anything that this man has to say in regards to this pagan holiday. Enough said.
10. Kirk stipulates that the pagan practices of Christmas are all gone and out of the picture now. So we can joyfully celebrate the incarnation and birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
A. Really? How about (1) Christmas Trees; (2) Yule Logs; (3) Parties/debauchery; (4) December 25th; (5) mistletoe; etc